Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Story Time – The Fault In Our Stars by John Green – my relationship with the story

 Story Time

The Fault In Our Stars 

by John Green


So I have a couple of stories about this book, but first I'm going to introduce it because I can't be bothered to explain what it's about! Also, I honestly can't find an image online that I can use without issues about copyright that looks like the cover I have. The one I have used is the best I could find!


I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.

Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis.

But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars brilliantly explores the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

Amazon UKAmazon US


So, I have introduced the book, you've (hopefully) read the blurb. If not, why did you scroll past it? Click on the links and go and get yourself a copy!

I first heard about this book about four years ago, when everyone at a drama group I attended was talking about it. I wasn't actually friends with any of the people who were talking about it, so I was purely eavesdropping and was not at all involved in the conversation.

The next time it was brought up in my presence was when I was at a friend's house for dinner. We were trying to decide what film to watch while we ate and she suggested The Fault In Our Stars. I said I had never seen it and she was appalled, immediately putting it on without any further debate. We sat, watching it, while eating pizza, dipping it in copious amounts of barbecue sauce (the pizza that is, not the movie). Not being a particularly emotional person when it comes to watching movies, I didn't get as emotional as many people have when watching this movie, but I loved it all the same. I now own the DVD and it's sitting on my shelf in front of me as I type this.

After having watched the movie, I, at some point, obtained a copy of the book. I can't actually remember who gave it to me. I think it might have been the friend I watched the movie with. Anyway, so I had watched the movie, and I read the book in no time, loving it as much as I had loved the movie.

Now comes the reason I'm talking about this book. I went on holiday with my family a couple of years ago. It was the start of autumn and we were going away for a week, to a caravan park near the beach. Of course, being in England, and it being the end of summer, it was much too cold to actually spend time at the beach. The weather was nice, but the water was freezing and the sand was the wet, clumpy, pebbly type.

Going on holiday is always a massive to-do in my house. There's always a big deal about packing. My brothers are completely incompetent when it comes to packing. I am not. We had three suitcases – obviously not enough for me, my brothers and both my parents. So I said I would pack my things in my backpack.


This is not the backpack I took, because that one since broke. This one is the same size, with my copy of the book for reference, both sat nicely on my rug.

In case you were wondering, the bag says:

SARCASM
Noun. (saːkaz(ə)m)
The ability to insult idiots without them realising it.

Amazing, right? I can't find this exact one, but here's a link to where I got it:

Amazon


Five days' worth of clothes, as well as a phone charger, two jumpers (although I wore one on the journey, so that doesn't count) and a coat (granted it didn't go in my bag, but I took it). At this point, my bag was bulging from all the stuff in it, but I only had my charger in the little front pocket. And everyone knows that the front pocket of a backpack is to put a book in.

I shoved my copy of The Fault In Our Stars in it. I didn't know if I was actually going to read, but you never want to be caught without a book available, so I took it anyway.

On a five day holiday, I read that book at least seven times. As soon as I finished it, I would turn the pages back to the start to begin again. I read it on the caravan's little porch in the sun, I read it in pyjamas, curled up on the sofa in the evening, I read it when I woke up in the morning. One time, I woke up and the sun was streaming through the curtains, so I assumed it was at least half seven. I picked up my book and read at least half of it before I realised that my family should've woken up by now and I was starting to get hungry. I checked the time on my phone, which should've been the first thing I had done. It was half five. Whatever time it had been when I had woken up, I'm not sure, but the mystery as to why it was so bright out so early in the morning remains a mystery to this day.

All in all, I have read this book over ten times and loved it a little bit more each time. Granted, I found the book through the movie, but I don't think that really matters if you love the book – better to find a book that you love than worry about the fact you watched the movie first, right?


I think that's it! That is my entire history with The Fault In Our Stars. I don't know how entertaining it will be to read about, but I'm going to upload this nonetheless because I want to share the mystery of the light in the middle of the night and the book plays a pivotal part in that story. Also, I had so much trouble getting the fonts and font sizes correct on this post, because I would set them right and then preview the post and they would all be wrong. Therefore, after so much work, I'm not not going to post it!

Bye!



No comments:

Post a Comment