Wednesday, May 11, 2022

A Review – Caged Time by Erik S. Meyers


I try to cover a wide range of genres on this blog, with both books and movies I review and the short stories I write. I do not think there are many genres I don't like reading/watching.

That being said, I have sorely under appreciated historical fiction. I think I have reviewed one other historical novel, and maybe one film. This is not enough!

I have been curious about this book for a while, and I was grateful to receive a copy through the review portal I joined (you can find out more/join HERE).

Let me stop rambling, introduce the book, and then share my review!


In 1930s New York, David Tarniss leads a quiet life as a cab driver—too quiet—In reality he is hiding a dark secret, his homosexuality, something for which he will pay dearly due to the unique circumstances of the time.

A fascinating, if disturbing, story about the challenges that confronted gays (and Jews) in 1930s New York.


Amazon UKAmazon US



My Review!


David Tarniss’ life is one of monotony, of reliving the same tasks each week, and coming out of them having gained nothing. He is desperately lonely, but between being shy and gay in 1930s New York, he can’t seem to be himself long enough to make meaningful relationships. No one knows he is gay, and he finds himself living a double life, only truly being himself when he is alone. 

When, at an uncomfortable visit to his brother’s for dinner, he meets Nathan, his brother’s colleague, things seem to look up for David. Nathan has a lot in common with David, and they get on well. A day out together leaves David reeling, desperate to spend more time with Nathan, although not sure if he’s also gay and a potential boyfriend, or just a friend. However, things quickly start to go wrong, David finds himself continuously dropped, and people always seem to leave him.

I was not entirely sure what to expect when going into this book. I have read many historical fiction books before, set during various periods of the 1900s, but never one from the perspective of a gay man, pre World War 2. It is a time when certain things are starting to look up, the economy is recovering from the Great Depression, and people are rebuilding their lives, and yet, David cannot seem to share in the joy that things are getting better because, for him, they are not. Homosexuality wasn’t just frowned upon, it was detested. David can’t be himself for his own safety, he can’t trust people around him to know what he is, and accept him for it. It is very easy to sympathise with David. His life is not what he wants it to be, all he wants is to be himself and for that to be okay, but it is not something that is about to happen for him.

David meets a lot of different people in this book, who all have very interesting perspectives on him and his situation. The first is Millicent, who is the only person who knows he is gay and openly accepts him for it. She has been his best friend for years, and, although they don’t keep in touch as much as they want to, she is always there for him, and ready to pop round if he needs her. I loved Millicent, she was an absolutely wonderful character, and friend, to read about. The second would probably be Nathan. He is a difficult character to place. I wasn’t sure whether to like him or not. While David seems infatuated with him, Nathan never treats David particularly well. The third character I would like to mention is Charles. He is not featured a lot, but he offers the unique perspective in this novel of someone who has learnt someone close to him is gay, and has come to accept it, despite not agreeing with it, nor completely understanding it. 

It is interesting, although heart-breaking, to read about all the struggles people faced just for being themselves. I really did not take the “fascinating, if disturbing” part of the blurb as seriously as I should have. There are some scenes in this book that definitely disturb, covering topics such as rape and suicide. It is difficult to read about people being treated so poorly, and having such thoughts simply because of who they are. 

If I had any problems with this book, it was that I struggled to connect with some of the characters. I empathised with David, but I wish there was more of an insight into his emotions. I was a little confused over why he was so obsessed with Nathan, because there never seems to be much of an explanation as to how David feels when he is around him, other than that he thinks he might have found someone he could have a relationship with. This is unfortunate, because I am certain I could have connected with the characters a lot, as the world-building is fabulous.

This is definitely an excellent read, and a very unique one. I have never come across a book like this before. It is a gripping story, that I read in one day, and I would definitely be interested in reading more by this author.


And done!

I am really happy to be getting back into reading. I keep going through phases of reading nothing for weeks, and then maybe reading half a book before giving up again, but this is now two books in three days. It's a nice feeling.

Anyway, that's all for now...

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment