Wednesday, December 28, 2022

A Review – The Fourth Charm (Dramsmit Childrens Mysteries Book 2) by Robert Howell


This is another book that I very gratefully received from the author. I read quite a lot of young adult fiction, but I haven't read much children's fiction since I was that age. This book is targeted at 8-15 year olds, so it is a bit of a different one for me.

Let me introduce the book, and then we can get into my review!


It has been a few months since Sharron, Wally and Chip found their true home at Bellevue Manor, and their place in the witch community. They continue to learn their craft, and their powers grow. Yet their true destiny lies in their love of mystery solving. Using their unique abilities, they take on the challenge of solving supernatural mysteries. Their success in this though may become their undoing. For now, the Witch Council itself has come to them to help solve a mystery that is threatening the Witch community.

Some entity is stealing the familiars from witches, including the familiar of their good friend Ronnie. They put on their sleuthing caps, using all the research tools at their disposal, to find the answer.

Then comes the prophecy from Saleena. The only chance they can survive this, is if they use the Fourth Charm. But what is The Fourth Charm? Not a single book in the extensive Dramsmit library mentions anything about it. Nor do any of the witches they have spoken with, including Saleena. They race to find the answer to this question, yet mysterious and powerful forces oppose them every step of the way. Can they find the Fourth Charm, and the ability to use it, before all is lost?


Amazon UKAmazon US


My Review!


Sharron, Wally, and Chip may still be fairly new to the magical world, but they have not been negatively impacted by their late start to their studies. They have a unique ability, the power of three, that allows them to join their magic together into a singular force, and they have a knack at coming up with new spells that help them along their adventures.

The three take up the role of detectives, combining their powers and problem solving abilities together, to solve the mysteries that the magical world throws at them. When a mystery arises that even the Witch's Council cannot solve, Sharron, Wally, and Chip find themselves facing possibly the most difficult mystery they’ve ever solved before. 

There is a lot of information in this book that you must understand for it to make sense, but once you have the general gist of the magical world this book contains, you are in for a wild ride! Having not read book 1, I do feel like I missed some important aspects of the story, but that is a problem that can easily be remedied. I would definitely recommend reading this series in order, as I’m sure it is easier to understand the magical world if you learn about it as the main characters do, rather than starting halfway through the story.

The magical world itself in this book is one I have not come across elsewhere. It is a very original world of potions, spells, and creatures that captures your attention. The language used, and the mystery itself in this book, is perfectly suited to the age group this book is targeted towards. If I had read this book at age 12, I know I would’ve loved it. Having said that, I actually read this book as an adult, and I still greatly enjoyed reading it! It is not over simplified for children, so while it is suitable for a younger audience to read, it is also perfect for those outside of the targeted age range. 

I loved the way Sharron, Wally, and Chip are portrayed. They are powerful, and incredibly smart, but they are still children. Chip, as the youngest, often comes out with new words that he has just learnt, and although they know what they are doing, they are often held back by their age. The adults around them take measures to ensure they are safe, but this often comes across as the grown ups trying to hold them back. This can be seen from both perspectives when reading, and I’m sure different aged readers would see things differently. While reading, as a ‘grown up’ myself, I saw three children trying to take on an adult’s role, but not having the necessary tools to actually move forwards themselves. It does portray an important message, that even though you might know how to do something, needing a little help is not something to be afraid of. 

The mystery in this book is one that definitely keeps you guessing as you read. With mythical creatures, and the infusion of myths and legends into the story, the twists and turns the story takes are plenty to keep your attention hooked. I read this book in one sitting, and I can see plenty of avid young readers absolutely adoring this series. This book really reminded me of The Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence, but with the added sparkle of a magical world and mythical creatures that the three must combat or befriend.

There are several mentions of the children having suffered violence in the past, as they went through different social systems after the deaths of their parents, and the children do face danger during the book, but the violence in the scenes is mild, and none of the children themselves are hurt at any point.

This is a wonderful book for children, or young teens, who enjoy mystery books, or have a love for magical stories. It also makes a great quick read for those adults who like to sit back with a simpler story. If magic and mysteries are your thing, this is the series for you!


And done!

I wasn't sure how I was going to get on with this book, due to the targeted age range, but I actually really enjoyed reading it. It was a lovely break from some of the heavier topics covered in the books I've been reading lately. I read the whole thing in one sitting!

Anyway, that's all for now...

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment