Friday, October 28, 2022

Movie Reviews – Horror Films – Spooky Season Week, Day 4!



I have no internet at the moment, or I have internet in my building, it just doesn't quite reach my bedroom. While this is very useful in making me go to sleep and stop me staying awake and scrolling for hours, it also means I don't have many options when it comes to actually watching anything. So during the day, I've been downloading things, and watching them in the evening/at night. Which probably isn't the best way to consume horror films, really late at night, and with nothing downloaded to watch afterwards, but still.

Anyway, here are the movies I watched, and the reviews!


Bodies are turning up around the city, each having met a uniquely gruesome demise. As the investigation proceeds, evidence points to one suspect: John Kramer, the man known as Jigsaw, who has been dead for over 10 years.




My Review!


I haven’t watched a lot of very popular movies, and some that I have never seen is any movie in the Saw franchise. I have obviously heard about the films, but I had no idea what they were about or anything. To be fair, I didn’t even realise this was a part of that franchise, although I should’ve been able to guess, given the title. I am not sure how this film compares to the original Saw films, but I really enjoyed it. The story itself was simple to follow, although I’m sure knowledge of the previous films would’ve added to the viewing experience. It got a little confusing towards the end, but again, it wasn’t particularly hard to figure out what was happening. There were certainly characters I liked more than others, although this is a film where good guys and bad guys don’t really exist. It is just a case of who was worse, for there weren’t really any people I would class as ‘good’. Everyone had flaws and most had done terrible things. But still, some characters were much more likeable than others. I am not one who finds horror movies particularly scary, to the point where I was so tired I fell asleep watching this and had to rewind a bit to continue watching it the next day. This film didn’t scare me at all. I would almost go as far as to class it as more of a thriller than a horror film. But still, I did enjoy watching it, and would very much like to go back and watch the rest of the movies in the Saw franchise. 


After firing up a lost 1980s survival horror game, a young coder unleashes a hidden curse that tears reality apart, forcing her to make terrifying decisions and face deadly consequences.




My Review!


This film is one that I, once again, knew absolutely nothing about, and just decided to watch on a whim. I am not generally the kind of person to get at all freaked out at horror films, my inability to be fazed by them is actually something I pride myself on, but this movie had me physically gagging at several scenes. It is not for those with a weak stomach. This film is almost a horror version of Jumanji, in a way. A game that affects the real world. The choices are sometimes presented as incredibly clear, or vague, and the things that happen afterwards are more often than not, completely unexpected. Either way, whatever choice is made usually involved horrific deaths. Kayla is a character completely torn apart by things that have happened in her life, but she doesn’t get a chance to break down and mourn. She is forced to keep going, no matter what, and the game Curs>r, the cause of everything that happens in this film, only makes her grief worse. A curse to some may be a blessing to others, but either way, Kayla goes through hell and has to suffer the consequences of loading up the game in the first place. Not for the faint of heart, but this film is wonderful. I did really enjoy it, even though it did make me feel a little sick. 


After being forced to take a room in a boardinghouse, an immigrant in search of the American Dream finds herself in a nightmare she can't escape.






My Review!

This film was very much one of suspense, that emitted the feeling of being trapped, and not being able to do anything about it. Ambar is desperately trying to improve her situation, but is running into dead ends wherever she turns. She doesn’t have the ID she needs, and can’t get any. She can’t improve her job, can’t find anywhere safe to live. The best she can find is a boarding house, but there is something wrong with the place. The more time she spends there, the more desperate she is to leave, but how can she? She needs to spend money she doesn’t have in order to make more money. She is lost, alone, and desperate. The whole horror aspect of this film almost takes a back burner in comparison to Ambar’s struggles, although that in itself was enough to give this film a sense of dread and uncertainty. I really felt for Ambar, she has no one to help her and no way to escape the things she needs to. And the horror aspects of the film, which do only really come into play in the last half hour, certainly add to the overall sense of not knowing whether Ambar was safe or not, or where she would find herself the following day. I can’t say this is one of the best horror films I’ve ever watched, it had it’s moments, but it didn’t keep me gripped throughout it. Mostly, I felt sorry for Ambar, and was just hoping she would find what she needed and would find somewhere safe to properly start her life. 


And done!

This post went up late because it literally wasn't written. I wrote most of it in the last half hour before it went up. I was supposed to include five films, but only ended up actually watching three before this post was meant to go up. Whoops.

This Spooky Season Week is a little unplanned...!

Anyway, that's all for now...

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment