Saturday, March 5, 2022

Writing Prompt Stories, Mini Stories That My Mind Cooked Up – Part 9



He stared at her, sitting by the window, watching the snowflakes twirl in the air. They had never spoken, much less made eye contact, but there was something about her. Something that was impossible to ignore.


Lee had spent the last few months making useless trips to the library, useless because there was no way he could ever get any studying done when she was sat by the window. The sun reflected off her hair, shimmering through it, whereas rain drew her attention away from her books, as drops of water raced down the glass. 

The words were still bouncing around his head. The librarian, usually quiet, ignoring everything happening in the building as he typed furiously on his computer, had stood up, and asked for everyone’s attention. “The snowstorm has grown worse. There are strong winds right now, and they are forecast for the next hour or so. I would advise you all to stay here, inside, until the wind has died down.” 

Two people had disregarded what the librarian had said – after all, he was a strange man, who apparently spent his time watching weather reports – and had left, only to return less than five minutes later, their hair tousled, a white dusting of snow clinging to their clothes. They had dropped into two spare seats in defeat.

So they were stuck, for at least an hour. Lee had long since given up on his research paper, to the point he had started to pack his notes and books away in his bag. He glanced towards the window, to the woman staring out of it. Her hair today was tied up, pulled away from her face, and she tapped a pen against the book on the table in front of her. This was his chance, wasn’t it? To speak to her, to get to know her. Maybe to get her number. Maybe just her name. 

He reached a hand down to his bag on the floor, pulling it up onto the table and rummaging through it. The books may have squashed them a little, and by the sounds of the crumbs filtering down the packet, they were rather broken, but chocolate chip cookies were a peace offering, no matter what state of disrepair they were in. Lee held the packet of cookies in his hand, all his things packed away in his bag, and took a deep breath.

“Hi, can I sit down?” 

She started, pulled out of the trance the falling snow had put her in. He shifted his weight, waiting for an answer, and she smiled.

“Sure.” She reached across the small table and pulled her books to her, closing some, and stacking them to the side. 

“I have cookies, if you want one?” He opened the packet as he sat down, setting them down in the middle of the table.

“Thanks,” she reached for one immediately, cupping her hand under her mouth as she bit into it, catching the pieces that broke off. “I haven’t eaten anything today,” she explained after swallowing the mouthful. “I was planning on going out at lunchtime, but then the wind happened, and I don’t fancy my chances. I barely know my way around on a nice day.”

“Do you live nearby?” Lee asked, and she nodded. “Then how don’t you know your way around? We’ve been here for a couple of months.” He was honestly confused by her confession. He could make his way around the campus blindfolded, and knew where all the rooms were, even the ones he didn’t take classes in. 

“I’ve never been good with directions. I can get from my place to here, my classes, and the shop, but I didn’t learn the way anywhere else. When I got my drivers licence, my Dad was terrified I would constantly get lost. He bought me a sat-nav as a congratulations present.” She laughed at her own words, reaching for another cookie, and Lee smiled. Her laugh made him feel like a soft breeze had just arrived on a sweltering day. 

“What’s your name?” Lee asked, and she held up a finger, chewing furiously.

“Jessica,” she swallowed and spoke, “or Jess. Jessie. Whatever.” She shrugged. “Yours?”

“Lee,” he told her. Jess. It fit her. Now that he knew it, Lee couldn’t imagine any other name fitting her.

“I recognise you,” she gestured towards him with a cookie. “Do you come here a lot?”

“Yeah, every couple of days. I like it here, it’s…” got you here...

“Peaceful?”

“Yeah.” He agreed, at a loss for what else to say. He shoved a cookie into his mouth instead of speaking any more.

“I like this spot. By the window,” Jess turned to look at the blizzard through the window. “When it’s clear, I can see all the way across campus. I like watching people.” Lee turned to look out the window as well, at the snowflakes spinning, thrown this way and that. They were trapped in turmoil, and yet, they look beautiful.

“How much longer do you think we’ll be stuck here?” Lee asked, his gaze locked on the storm that didn’t seem about to let up.

“Already getting bored of my company?” Jess asked. Lee turned to defend himself, but saw that she was grinning. “Do you want to play a game?”

“Okay?” Lee said, frowning as she reached into her bag, pulling out a pack of cards. “Do you carry that around with you all the time?”

“Yes, and a Rubik’s cube. Just in case I run into someone who can solve it for me.”

“I can solve it,” Lee almost whispered, shocked at his luck. Time with the girl he couldn’t stop staring at, and a chance to show off to her? Perhaps that wasn’t the correct wording, but he had always loved solving Rubik’s cubes in front of people, just to impress them. 

She handed it over wordlessly, and watched, leaning forward as he turned the grid, following the patterns he had memorised one boring summer day.

“There,” he held it out to her, and she took it, turning it slowly as she examined the colours, all lined up perfectly.

“How?” She asked, and he grinned.

“It’s a secret. But I might need a reward,” he said it before his common sense could kick in and stop him.

“Oh yeah? What would that be, then?” She asked, resting her cheek on her palm as she leant forward over the table.

“Your number.” He cringed internally at how cheesy he sounded.

“I think that might be doable. Give me your phone, then.” She held out her hand, failing to conceal a smile. Lee pressed his mobile into her palm, and she wrapped her fingers around it, concentrating as she typed, and silently mouthing the numbers as she added them in. “There. Now, are do you have any other hidden talents I should know about? Can you control the weather and make this storm stop briefly so I can get home?”

“Not quite, but I do make a pretty good stir fry.” She raised an eyebrow at him, and he grinned. “In fact, I was planning on making one when I get home, but I always make too much for just me to eat. You wouldn’t happen to like stir fry, would you?”

“That depends… do you make it entirely from scratch, or do you use those little spice packets, and a pre-made bag of vegetables?”

“Um, both?” Lee couldn’t tell if he had just ruined everything or not. And the cheesiness had been going so well. Jess leaned further across the table, grinning.

“Good. I was starting to worry you were an overachiever.” Lee scoffed.

“Not at all. I have three assignments due, one overdue, and countless coming up.” Maybe if he spent any time studying outside of the library, where he wouldn’t get distracted by Jess’s presence, he would get more done.

“Oh dear, well, we’ll have to do something about that. Maybe set up a study group.” She shrugged. “I could come over and help you study, but you would have to feed me in return.”

“I’m sure that can be arranged,” Lee chuckled as Jess grinned at him. Maybe he actually had a shot. Now, how to make sure she didn’t see the mess of his place when he wouldn’t get a chance to clean it before she got there?


And done!

I wasn't entirely sure where this story was going, but Lee and Jess started flirting, so I just let them be!

I don't actually have anything to say down here...

That's all for now...

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment