Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Story Time – The evening of things getting worse and worse



I am not the kind of person who has a lot of interesting things happen in their day to day life, so I have not had many story time posts on my blog.

HOWEVER!

I just had the most chaotic evening of my life, and if I don't share it, it's going to be a story lost to time. No matter that I've already verbally told this story three times, I will now tell it here as well!


It all starts when I get a text from a friend, asking if I want to do something in the evening. Since it's a Friday night, and I never have plans, I decided it was a great idea. What followed was half an hour of us deciding that we were hungry, and that there's nowhere good (and fairly cheap) to get food near where we live. So, we come to the conclusion that we will head into town, get pizza, and do some bowling.

First off, I have to get fuel. And no one likes going into the little shop, so I decided to pay at the pump. I put my card in, it thought about it for about two minutes, and then announced that I had removed my card too early and should replace the pump. I hadn't touched anything. So, I took my card out, waited for it to reset itself, and tried again. Same thing. So, I just got back into my car, moved to a different pump, and everything worked fine.

That was the first instance of the bad luck that had settled over me.

Then I head to pick up my friend. Now, she lives in an area that is under a lot of construction, and the roads are very narrow. I came to her road, and it was blocked by a van, and two men tidying tools away for the evening. I waited patiently, they were well aware that I was there, because my headlights were on, and they were using the light to see. They spent five minutes doing stuff, which seemed altogether unnecessary, before moving out the way and letting me through.

The next thing happened a little while later. We were on the road, approaching a junction, when we came upon a lot of traffic. Cars start swerving out into emptier lanes, and the traffic was getting worse. I can see flashing lights at the junction. The junction splits into a left turn and a right turn. Across the left turn, a lorry is broken down, across both sides of the road. Police are directing everyone to the right. Guess which way I needed to go? Yes, that's right. Left. So, I go to the right, and start wondering where I was going to pull over to sort out the sat nav, because I hadn't turned it on. I know the way, but only if I had gone left.

Luckily, my friend announced that she knew exactly which way to go, and we made it with only one roundabout that I went around twice, because I missed the turn both times.

We were finally there, ready to eat some pizza, and then do some bowling. First, we have to queue to get into the pizza place. We get in, sit down. We have to order from our phones. I am an incompetent human being, and my phone decided the free WiFi wasn't good enough, and refused to connect to it. So, we ended up ordering twice, from my friends phone, so we could pay separately. But it's fine, because we immediately get drinks, so we're happy.

Until an alarm goes off. Now, sometimes you're not sure what to do when a fire alarm goes off, and that was certainly the case. One minute, everyone was sat down, looking around, and the next, everyone was on their feet, putting on coats, and picking up belongings. Children were grabbing as much food as they could carry. Everyone was being herded out the door. And then we were all sent to the other end of the complex, so I'm starting to think something's about to explode.

About fifteen minutes later, we're all brought back inside. I overhear the manager telling someone that there was no fire at all. We sit back down, keeping in mind that we are booked in for bowling at 8, and it's half past 7. We expected to be eating at this point.

My pizza comes out, and I start moving things to fit it on the table. And my drink falls over. I call to the waitress, asking if we can get a cloth or something, and pick up the drink. I put it down, in exactly the same place (where two tables join together, and there is a slight lip where one is taller than the other) and it falls again. Hilarity ensues. We clean up the mess I made, and I'm realising that my friend's food hasn't come out, only mine.

It is awkward to sit, when everyone has their food but you. It is also awkward to sit when you have food, but the other person doesn't. It took fifteen extra minutes for my friend to get her food, which I kind of understand, considering the whole fire alarm situation, and the fact that people were asking for new pizza, because their's had gone cold (it certainly hadn't. The ice in our glasses hadn't even melted) but mine came out fairly quickly, and I ordered second.

By the time my friend gets her food, we have ten minutes until we are meant to be bowling. I don't think either of us have ever eaten pizza so quickly. And, we didn't want our free drink refills to go to waste, so we downed our drinks as well.

Feeling slightly ill, we went to the bowling building, and had to queue for another ten minutes to say sorry we're late, can we still play? The person working there looked so fed up with their job, they asked if we were booked in as VIPs, we said no, they said 'you are now'. They literally upgraded us because they were fed up.

And then I awkwardly had to go back and ask how to put the barriers up, because neither of us can do bowling without those little kiddie barriers that stop your ball going into the gutter. That was a whole palava in itself. Turns out, bowling is actually quite difficult, and neither of us were very good at it. I won by about five points. It was very close the whole game.

And, it seemed, my bad luck was lifted. On the car journey home, I took a risk, and went the way that the lorry had been. It was gone, and all that remained was sand sprinkled across the road to stop other cars slipping on spilt oil.

I made it home, told this whole story twice, and then wrote it out again, here.

It was an incredibly eventful evening.


And done!

I was texting my Dad throughout the fire alarm/drink spilling situation, and he seemed utterly uninterested. When I told him I spilt my drink, he sent me a GIF of Yoda, with the words 'dumb you are'.

I hope this has been even mildly entertaining. And I hope I do not have another experience like this, at least for two or three years.

That's all for now...

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment