Saturday, November 6, 2021

Character Stories, making short stories for everyday people – Charlie



Charlie


My fingers flew furiously over the controller, running, jumping, shooting. All I could hear was the sound of gunfire, and of my character's footsteps on the grass, loud in the headphones that covered my ears, blocking out the sound of the outside world.

I shifted in my seat, leaning back slightly when I realised the fighting section was over, and I was now moving forward to some sort of puzzle. It wouldn't take me long if I concentrated, and didn't think of my phone buzzing on my desk, turned face down so I wouldn't have to see the onslaught of notifications.

I managed to find the way to go easily, without using the hint that was waiting at the bottom of the screen for me to select it, to cheat. I had always preferred figuring these things out by myself, it almost ruined it when I was given hints, or was told where to go, because then I didn’t get to experience the feeling of being smart when I solved it. 

“Hey!” I jumped when one side of my headphones were pulled off my ear, and I spun around to confront my attacker, stopping when I realised it wasn’t someone coming with the intent to kill me, but my little sister instead. Then again, she could still have that intention. “Why did you do that? If I was in combat I would’ve died and had to restart it.”

“But you weren’t in combat.” She looked around my room, scrutinising my bed before gingerly sitting down on the edge. “How long have you been playing games rather than getting things done?”

“I am getting things done.” I argued. “I’m collecting all the valuables on this play through. Last time–“

“You missed one, and it annoyed you for days, I know.” She interrupted, and I glowered at her. “It doesn’t take away from the fact that you have an essay due in three days, and, by the look of things,” she picked up an empty packet of crisps from my floor, to prove her point, before letting it slide off her finger and fall back to the carpet, “you haven’t started.”

“Look, Marie, just because you are some super genius, and spend all your time studying, it doesn’t mean I have to be one too. You might find essay writing fun, but I find virtually killing things fun, so you just run along and study, and leave me to my game.” I turned away from her, and pulled the headphone back over my ear, pressing play on the game and wincing slightly as the loud game sounds blasted into my ears, not quite being used to the loud volume yet.

“What are you doing?” I tore my headphones off, turning to Marie again, standing by my bedroom window, grinning by the curtains she had just opened.

“Letting you photosynthesise. Maybe if you get some vitamin D in you, you’ll be less grumpy,” she opened the window as well, for good measure, perhaps.

“Humans don’t photosynthesise, I thought you were ultra smart?” I mumbled, staring at the pause screen of the game.

“Ah, so you do listen to me on occasion!” She exclaimed and I rolled my eyes. “Now, I’m going to go and make some food, I want you to get changed, quit moping about the fact Leslie cheated on you, because everyone saw it coming, and come eat a meal with me.” 

“If everyone saw it coming, couldn’t anyone tell me, or did you all find it funny to just sit back and watch her make a fool out of me?” I snapped, standing up, but getting caught by the headphones hanging around my neck, the wire holding me near to my console.

“We tried to warn you, Charlie, but you didn’t listen. Now block her number, because that buzzing is starting to annoy me, and have a shower.” She turned and walked out of the room, leaving the door open as she walked away. Sometimes, I greatly questioned my decision to share accommodation with her at university. It was like living with a whirlwind who thought they were always right, and tried to get you to study all the time.

Then again, I do, unfortunately, recall her telling me she had seen Leslie hanging around another guy, and me telling her that she was stupid to think Leslie would ever do anything like she was suggesting. I sighed, running my hands across my face, and turning, squinting slightly into the light coming through my window. When was the last time I had opened my curtains, let alone known what time of day it was? I was hungry, and I couldn’t deny that, for as annoying as she was, I had taken no cooking talent from our mother, so Marie had both of our share of that particular skill.

Blocking Leslie’s number was a weight off my shoulders. To think that, the next time she sends a message, begging for my forgiveness, telling me that she made a mistake, letting me know that I was the better of the two men, or swearing at me, a cycle she seemed to have been repeating for the last few days, she would get an automated response telling her she couldn’t text me anymore, was something I relished. 

I hated to have to walk into the kitchen and my mere presence to prove to Marie that she was right about something, yet again, but after a scalding shower, I was both starving, and feeling greatly refreshed. My hair still practically dripping, I walked into the kitchen.

“If you dare say anything along the lines of ‘I told you so’, I will take the ink out of your highlighters.” I warned before she could say anything, and although my threat obviously worried her, nerd that she was, I was sure she loved her different coloured highlighters more than she loved me, her only brother, she was grinning. 

“Bacon, eggs, toast, and,” she shuddered, “baked beans.” She gestured to the stove, where things were sizzling and bubbling in various pans.

“Don’t diss the baked beans.”

“They’re gross.”

“You’re gross.

“Thanks. Now grab some plates, and help me serve up. The sooner we eat, the sooner we can get started on your essay.” She said happily, and I groaned. I had almost forgotten. Goodbye video games, hello studying with my sister all afternoon, and having her tell me that my points were sub-par, and that I needed to revise more.

Then again, she did cook baked beans for me, despite her aversion to them, so that counted for something.


And done!

I wrote this an hour ago. I'm so well prepared!

And baked beans are great, no arguments.

That's all for now...

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment