Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Movie Review – The Devil's Own – My favourite movie!

 

Movie Review

The Devil's Own


I am fairly sure at one point I said I would review both books and movies on here, and so far it has only books... oops.

I promise I watch movies! I actually watch quite a lot. When I write posts vs when I post them is a whole bag of cats I don't want to open, but as I write this, I am planning on writing a post about my relationship with movies. I may add in a link if it has already gone live.

As I'm writing this, I'm actually having a bit of a lovers tiff with books, and I can't think of anything to write about them, I don't particularly feel like writing my own stories and I'm not in the mood for reading. To movies it is!

What better to start off with, but my favourite movie?!

I can't actually find a 'blurb' for this movie, but I found this and it fits the bill. I don't know if it's a part of a review, or something else, but it'll do!


Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt star in this crime drama directed by Alan J. Pakula. When senior IRA member Frankie McGuire (Pitt) arrives in New York on a mission to buy Stinger missiles he uses the alias Rory Devaney and finds lodgings with NYPD cop Tom O'Meara (Harrison Ford). Despite liaising with fellow terrorists in New York to secure his deal, Frankie finds peace with Tom's family and a strong bond begins to form between the two men. How will Tom react when he finds out the true identity of his house guest?


(Yes, I gave you a DVD link. Yes, I still watch things on DVD. It's also on Netflix right now, if that's preferable.)


My Review

First off, Brad Pitt.

Now, let's get into it properly. Frankie is a part of the IRA. He is also the main character. His entire goal is to travel to America to obtain Stinger missiles and sail them back to Ireland, to give the IRA the edge it needs to make everyone else listen. This would, therefore, suggest that you should not like Frankie.

This is not the case.

While he is technically the bad guy, I would call him an anti-hero (if that is the right term). He is a bad guy you can't help but feel sorry for and you find yourself coming up with reasons for why he is doing what he is doing, to excuse him. He saw his father gunned down in front of him when he was a child, and his actions from then seem to be in retaliation, to get revenge. He has people counting on him, and while his morals are not exactly in the right place, he is not one to break a promise.

His relationship with Tom is an interesting one. In America, Frankie calls himself Rory and is placed in the home of Tom O'Meara, a Sergeant at the New York Police Department. Tom has a wife and three daughters, the kind of family you wouldn't expect to be housing a terrorist, even if they didn't know it. The way Frankie fits into the home is almost like it was meant to be. The bond that forms between him and Tom is like that of a father and son, as if Frankie was finally learning what it is to have a father after so many years, what it is like to have someone care about you like that. He becomes like a brother to Tom's daughters, especially the youngest, Annie, who looks up to him like he is a saint. As you watch, you can't help but think that if Frankie abandoned his plans, he could fit in so well with this family, could start a new life for himself.

There is violence and action, which is another reason why I love this film so much. My favourite genres are action and thrillers, and I would pin this movie as both. I have watched this so many times, granted I only watched it the first couple of times because of Brad Pitt, that I have reached the point in that I no longer have to be paying attention to know what is going on. I can have it on in the background while I tidy, or sit down to start watching it half way through and know exactly what is happening at all times. Although, not much cleaning actually got done the time I tried that, because I kept getting distracted by the screen.

Nonetheless, I really enjoy watching this movie, although the first time I saw that ending, it had me rewinding and rewatching multiple times before I fully comprehended what had happened. My hand was over my mouth and I felt tears behind my eyes. I'm not one for crying at movies, so the tears never showed themselves, but I felt them there, ready.


So yeah, first movie review of my life. I think it went pretty well. There was no critical, in depth analysis of the actors or the script, and I have no idea who directed it, but I think I covered the basics!

Also, I am not sure entirely how good Brad Pitt's Irish accent was, I liked it (I am a sucker for an Irish accent) but others have said it wasn't great. Who knows.

That's it for now then.

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment