Wednesday, June 23, 2021

A Review – The Cornish House by Liz Fenwick

 

The Cornish House
by Liz Fenwick
A Review

This is quite a last minute post. Most of my posts are scheduled for at least a week, maybe more, before they go out. The date that this one's going out? I wrote it yesterday.

As if I don't have enough books, I picked this one up in a charity shop. I didn't really pay much attention to what it was actually about, by reading the blurb before buying it, I just thought it had a pretty cover and the house on it is practically my dream house. So I bought it and it somehow jumped to the top of my very long to-read list, pushing back so many other books that have been waiting so very long to be read.

I'm on a bit of a time limit as I'm writing this post, as I have nearly 40 minutes before I have to be somewhere, and I'm hoping to get it done before I have to go.

Let me introduce the book, and then we'll get into the review!


When artist Maddie inherits a house in Cornwall shortly after the death of her husband, she hopes it will be the fresh start she and her step-daughter desperately need. Trevenen is beautiful but neglected, and as Maddie discovers the stories of generations of women who've lived there before, she begins to feel her life is somehow intertwined within its walls.

But Maddie's dream of a calm life in the countryside is far from the reality she faces - and as she pulls at the seams of Trevenen's past, the house reveals secrets that have lain hidden for generations.

(I decided to start using universal links, so here's one! It'll take you to a page where you can choose what store you would like to buy from!)


My review!


I bought this book on a Saturday, started reading it on Sunday, and had finished it by 7am Tuesday morning. This is the kind of book that you don't want to put down, because you fall in love with the world in the story.

As she's dealing with the death of her husband, and struggling to put up with the snarky remarks of a stepdaughter who hates her, Maddie learns that she has inherited a house in Cornwall. With the hope that a fresh start in a new area will heal not only Maddie's and Hannah's broken hearts, but also their relationship, Maddie packs up their house in London and makes the move.

The house, as picture-perfect as it may be, is certainly in a state of disrepair. The heating doesn't work, there's no internet connection, the list goes on. Although, the money has run out and Maddie simply can't afford to fix everything properly.

The community is like one that most people think you only read about in books, but actually exists – where everyone knows everyone and there are no secrets, as everyone is a gossip and they all love a bit of juicy news.

I really felt for Maddie. She's trying to cope with so much and Hannah doesn't make it easy on her. I simply could not see why Hannah thought Maddie was so wicked, for all Maddie ever did was be nice to her and try to provide her with whatever she wanted. It's understandable that Hannah would be distraught at the death of her father, but the way she treated Maddie was disgusting. There were times that I really liked Hannah, especially nearer the end, or when she was with Old Tom, but at other times I despised her. This may be because this book gives both points of view, Maddie's and Hannah's, and perhaps if it was simply from Hannah's point of view I would like her more, but knowing what I did about Maddie and how much she was struggling, and what a lovely person she was, I found it difficult to like Hannah too much.

There are always some staples in a good community – there has to be a dashingly handsome man that every woman secretly thinks about, and a loving, yet loud, woman with no boundaries, who quickly becomes the best friend that the main character didn't ask for. These are Mark and Tamsin. I absolutely adored both of them, for although Tamsin often poked her nose in where it wasn't wanted, she was absolutely the kind of friend that Maddie needed, someone who always had her back and, although she liked chatting, would keep a secret if she knew you didn't want anyone to know. Mark, as well, was incredibly kind and grew close to Maddie. The friends that Maddie makes are the best kind that she could ever hope for, and I loved watching their friendships grow.

I absolutely loved the aspect of this novel wherein both Maddie and Hannah are digging into the past, trying to find out about those who had lived at the house before them. Maddie's search for the truth about her real parents, whom she never knew, and Hannah's desperate bid for something vaguely interesting to do in this strange house, led to some interesting discoveries that I, too, was all too excited to find out about.

This book was one that I loved from start to finish. The people in this novel are the kind that you want to be real, so that you can be friends with them, and it will definitely make you want to visit Cornwall. I woke up at 6am on the last day of reading this and I was completely ready to go back to sleep until it wasn't such a ridiculously early hour until I remembered the last portion of this book was waiting for me. I had finished reading it by 7.

This book has a bit of everything – sadness, pain and heartbreak, as well as happiness, love and hope.


And end review!

My time limit didn't work too well, as I decided to make coffee half way through writing this. I have four minutes left. I better make this ending short!

Really, though, you should check out this book! If it's not your style, I'm sure you know someone who would love it!

Okay, three minutes. I'm going to finish here.

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment