Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Story Time – A dramatised version of the time I saw a cute guy in a shop

A story that shows how creative my mind is on a day to day basis.


I looked down at my shoes as I walked, trying desperately to time my footsteps to the music playing through my earphones. The last song had been fine, but this one was just a little bit too fast for me to keep up with. I looked up from my feet as someone crossed the road in front of me and I slowed my pace slightly so it didn’t look like I was following him. 

I could only see the back of him, but from the bag tucked under his arm, he was obviously going to the shop, like I was. Great, so I had to awkwardly follow him all the way to the shop. 

My mind started to wander as I thought about the money in my pocket. My father had sent me for bread, just bread, nothing else, and I was wondering just how much chocolate I could buy before he got suspicious over how expensive the bread was. The guy in front of me crossed the road and I waited as a car went by before I followed. As the car passed, the guy turned his head to watch it and his eyes flicked towards me, just as I misjudged my step onto the pavement and stumbled. Great, not only had I tripped and scuffed my shoes, a complete stranger had seen me do it. On the plus side, he hadn’t laughed, so maybe he hadn’t been paying attention.

My stumble had set me back, away from him a bit, so I watched as he walked into the shop from a distance and sighed to myself as I picked up my pace, the song playing in my left ear finally changing to one I could walk along to. The right ear bud was bouncing on my chest as I walked and I had long since given up try to tuck it into my top to stop it from doing so. 

I walked into the shop, making a beeline for the bread. I sighed inwardly as I saw three different people standing around the bread. I tried to tell myself to excuse the elderly couple for taking a long time, because they were old. The other guy muttered an apology to me for being in the way and I replied with a ‘that’s alright’, my voice way too high and squeaky. I cringed – I had just phone-voiced this guy in real life. 

The elderly couple moved away slowly and I grabbed a loaf of bread as the other guy stood debating what type of baked goods he wanted. Slipping past the couple, who were now stood around the hotdog buns, I speed walked my way to the checkout queue, the loaf of bread swinging in my hands as I walked. I stood at the back of the queue, looking up from my shoes to see how many people were stood in front of me when I saw, guess who standing in front of me? The guy who had been walking in front of me. 

He turned as I approached him, coming to a stop the same amount of distance he was standing from the woman in front of him, assuming that was how far away I was supposed to stand. As he turned, I took one glance at him and then ducked my head, pretending to be looking at the chewing gum. Oh my God, he was cute.

His hair was dark and looked like he had missed a couple of hairdresser appointments, falling in a mess of curls over his dark brown eyes, curling around the frames of his glasses. His face was covered in freckles and, yep, he was taller than me. 

He stepped forward towards the till as I freaked out about how to be cool, despite him not looking at me. You read it in books, didn’t you? About how people met in the oddest of places and fall in love and get married and have five kids. Maybe this was my guy.

I walked up to the other till and placed the bread down. It wasn’t until the guy behind the checkout coughed that I realised he had asked me a question and, being the awkward parsnip that I was, I bypassed the polite ways to ask someone to repeat themselves and, very loudly, said ‘huh?’ Turns out he had asked if I was paying by cash or card. I replied saying ‘cash’ as the blood rushed to my face and I quickly placed the coins in his outstretched hand, grabbing the bread and walking towards the exit. Maybe cute guy was waiting for me. He would approach me, a blush across his cheeks as he awkwardly said that he thought I was pretty and could he please get my number. His voice would be deep, but not so deep it was intimidating. I would smile, coyly, of course, and ask him if he had a pen. If he did, I would take it, take his hand, and write my number on the back of his hand, adding a small love heart after the digits. 

The air outside was much colder than it was in the shop and I glanced around, looking for cute guy. I caught a glimpse of him just before he turned a corner, walking in the opposite direction to me without a backwards glance. 

Maybe he wasn’t the one for me. I sighed, pulling my phone out of my back pocket and changing the song. Maybe I would find the love of my life next time I go out for bread. Then again, he probably was so incredibly humble he would never approach a girl to ask for her number. That poses an issue for how I would meet him. 

Maybe I should leave my love life to fate, and get the bread home before my father decided he no longer wanted toast, making my trip a waste of time. 


Yes, this actually happened.

It was a little less dreamy, but the main structure of the story is basically the same.

I'm just a sucker for hair thats messy and a little too long, and pretty eyes.

And yes, I'm this awkward in real life.

I wasn't sure whether to post this on a Wednesday or a Saturday. On Wednesdays, I tend to post reviews, or things that are basically me talking, rather than stories, which is why I opted to post this on a Saturday, when I normally post creative things/short stories. The only problem is this is technically also a story time, which I post on Wednesdays. See my dilemma? I might have to rethink my system...

Okay I'm done.

Bye!



No comments:

Post a Comment