Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Places I read that I probably shouldn't

Places I read that I probably shouldn't.

This is obviously a very cliche topic, full of cliches, because I am a very cliche person and am already running out of ideas for blog posts.

Nonetheless, off I go!


So, there are always time restraints in life, and these restraints are the reason I read at the most inopportune times. I read when I can't be bothered to do anything else, for example on the weekends, or in the evenings when the choice is to read or watch something on TV – sometimes I'm just not in a TV kind of mood.

The first way I read, therefore, is in the evenings or weekend, when I have free time.

Sometimes, I watch something on TV in the evenings, but afterwards, when I should go to bed, I want to read. My bookcase is in front of my bed, so when I lie down, my books stare at me. Sometimes, I just can't help turning on my fairy lights and reading until 1 in the morning. (This does, however, mean that I wake up much later than I am supposed to. Oops.)

I don't have baths very often, because I am under the impression that showers are much more convenient, both time wise and cleaning wise. Have you ever tried washing your hair in a bath? Anyway, when I take baths, I usually take a book. One time I took my phone and had a very close call with almost dropping it. My books must loathe bath time, because there is a very high chance I will accidentally dip the bottom of the pages in the water. Nevertheless, I read in the bath, and risk the lives of my books every time. I know the risks, I just don't care. I'm such a rebel.

When I have to go out somewhere, I usually take a book. I once sat down in the waiting room at the dentists and pulled a book out of my bag. I actually didn't hear the dentist calling my name the first time, because I wasn't paying attention. After that, I stopped taking books to places where I had to pay attention, but I still read whenever I get the bus anywhere (although I haven't for a very long time). Another place I took a book – there's a tennis court where my younger brothers play tennis occasionally. I walked there with them and sat on the edge of the court to read. This, it seems, was a very stupid idea, as I spent the entire time dodging tennis balls and getting distracted as I worried about whether or not a stray ball would hit me.

In the summer, when there's actually sun out (England, please, we just want a little more heat), I sit outside and read in the garden. Generally, I wear shorts and take off my shoes and socks so I don't get strange tan lines. This does, however, lead to frequent sunburn, as I often forget to get up and put more suncream on, because I'm too busy reading.

I think the issue is that I have little to no self restraint when it comes to reading and I do not learn from past mistakes (for example, to ensure the book stays out the bath or to read somewhere that I'm not in danger from my brothers playing various types of sport. I am also incredibly spiteful and if someone tells me not to do something, I immediately go to do that thing. This is why I stay up too late reading and don't put enough suncream on. Clearly, the people telling me to sleep and sit in the shade are only trying to help me, but I am an annoying human being who thinks she is better than everyone else.

Everyone has flaws, don't hate on me. (I'll just hate on you more.)


I think I'm out of things to say, time to sit and stare at a blank screen as I try and figure out what else to write about (it took me a full 15 minutes to come up with this idea, and it's a pretty bad one. I dread to think what my next idea will be like).

Bye!



No comments:

Post a Comment