Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Books are unrealistic and here's why you disagree with me - trying to start arguments again

 Books are unrealistic and here's why you disagree with me


Don't pretend that title didn't anger you ever so slightly (or more than that) as you immediately started trying to come up with arguments as to why I am wrong and trying to think up any book you've ever read that could be an exception. First off, I know, I wish I could disagree as well. Secondly, don't try and argue with me, I will either win or ignore you, so either way, you will lose.

If you've ever picked up any book ever, you might already have an idea of where I'm going with this.

Friendships, relationships. All of it. Books are an idealistic version of reality and you can't argue that. People are thrown into situations that they are unfamiliar with and they step up to the occasion. People make friends, or have friends who know them so well they can read the tone of their messages. This is all incorrect.

I have a best friend, I've been friends with her since I was seven years old. Yet, I have no idea what she's going on about half the time and we do not like the same things. Most books I've read, ones where the main character has a best friend that they've known forever, know every little thing about them, like that obscure conversation they once had that led to them being embarrassed, so the friend never brings it up again. I don't know about you, but I go out of my way to annoy my friend.

Take the shy main character, the one that has never had any friends or been in a relationship. Suddenly, the have a best friend who won't leave them alone and their crush likes them back. I will openly admit, I've never been in a romantic relationship before, I'm much too awkward to ever talk to people I even remotely like. This is why I don't believe that shy character can suddenly lead a completely different life and not feel strange about it, or feel out of place, insecure about whether these people actually like them or not.

Siblings. Need I say more. I would love to write a book where there are siblings who act like me and my siblings act, but somehow I don't think people would like it. We purposefully annoy each other by leaving doors open, just a little bit. Sometimes we get along famously, but other times we're arguing about who gets to sit where. There is no 'best seat', we just all want the one that the other ones want. We have full on fights, with balled fists, but stop the punches before they hit. We then act as if we have been punched and fall accordingly, pretending to be hurt while the other person may or may not start fake kicking us. These fights are also often in slow motion. I have never read a book where there are siblings who act like we do. If you have any good recommendations of books that have realistic sibling portrayals, please let me know.

Learning things way too quickly in books annoys me to no end. I once read a book that involved a section about martial art training. I am learning Karate, I have been for about a year. There is no way you can get that good in three months, especially if you are about twelve years old, and then be able to take on full grown men. Also, languages. I have tried multiple times to learn German and French (and Swedish once), but I have not got the patience and I get frustrated when I don't have someone who speaks the language fluently to teach me. Therefore, it irks me when someone in a book learns a language in a matter of pages. Are either of these things realistic? I don't know, I've never dedicated that much time to learning something. But it annoys me, so I'm ranting about it.

Bookworm takes off glasses, puts on makeup and suddenly no one recognises her and she is drop-dead gorgeous. No, take the makeup off, you don't need it. Put the glasses back on, you do need them. Pick that book back up because if that boy only pays attention to you when you pretend to be someone you're not, he's not worth it.

There are probably a lot more things that I wanted to write about, but I abandoned this post halfway though and returned to it a couple of days later, so I don't actually remember what I was planning on writing about.

Do you disagree, or agree? Can you think of things that annoy you in books that I haven't listed, that you're sure I meant to write about but forgot? Probably. Please share these things, I do like conversation and causing arguments!

That's it from me for now then.

Bye!


1 comment: